+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mattress too firm

Default Mattress too firm

Help! I recently bought a mattress which is too firm. I canít take it back to the bed shop I bought it from and wonder what I can do to improve the situation. It was a very expensive mattress. I like a firm mattress, but this one is way too hard and I didnít figure it out until it was too late. Any ideas?

Default Hope for a firm mattress

Yes, there are a few things you can do. The best part is that you donít have to throw out your new expensive mattress. You can just add a memory foam mattress topper to the top of your mattress. This will soften your new hard mattress.

There are a variety of densities of memory foam to choose from. If you want a firmer feel then add a 2.5 lb or 3 lb two inch memory foam topper. If you want to spend a bit more then add a two inch 5 lb Sensus memory foam topper. This 5 lb density will have a bit more of a luxurious feel but should be firm enough.

If you like a 100% natural sleeping surface you could add a 2 inch latex topper. Latex is a known to be a firm sleeping surface. But a latex topper will add just enough softness to a firm or hard mattress.

You are lucky that your new mattress was too hard rather than too soft. It is actually quite easy to soften a hard mattress with a memory foam topper because a new hard mattress is a good surface to build on. If the mattress was too soft then it would have been more difficult to firm it up with a topper. But if this were the case, we would have suggested a thicker 3 inch latex topper to firm up a soft mattress.

Sharon

+ Reply to Thread