+ Reply to Thread

Thread: best mattress topper

Red face best mattress topper

Which is the best mattress topper? I would assume it is the most expensive. Is that right?

--Bee Bee

Default Expensive Topper may not be best for you.

The most expensive mattress topper is not necessarily the best mattress topper for you. [B]There are many considerations when evaluating which mattress pad topper to buy. One question is whether or not to go with memory foam or latex foam?[/B] If you are looking for the most comfortable topper then you should go for memory foam. A pure latex topper is good if you want a 100% natural sleep surface. Latex is also a good choice if you weigh over 250 lbs. This is because memory foam is not designed for those who weigh over 250lbs. If you weigh over 250 lbs and use a memory foam topper it will rapidly loose its recovery properties and may begin to hold an indentation or body impression. Latex on the other hand is a good sleeping surface for heavier people because it offers very good support. A latex topper under a memory foam topper is a great choice. The memory foam topper is used on top for comfort and the latex topper added underneath for extra orthopedic support.

[B]The next choice to make is which height to choose: 2 inch, 3 inch or 4 inch?[/B] Either a 2 inch or a 3 inch mattress topper would be best. The 4 inch topper is a bit bulky and you may feel you are sinking too deeply into it. The 2 inch would be better for those who are a bit lighter in weight and a 3 inch is better if you are a bit heavier. This is definitely an example of where the most expensive is not necessarily the best. Obviously the 4 inch toppers are more expensive but they are not the best for most people.

[B]Another choice to make is which density of memory foam to choose: 2.5 lb, 3 lb, 4 lb or 5 lb density? [/B]We can highly recommend any of these densities of memory foam. They all give a very good “memory foam experience” which is an experience of being cradled in comfort. This gives relief from pressure points, which is so important for those who suffer from arthritis. You have seen the animated pictures of memory foam. If you push your hand into the foam it gradually springs back into shape. This “pushing back” quality of memory foam also gives the foam a supportive quality. All the densities of memory foam: 2.5 lb, 3 lb, 4 lb and 5 lb give these experiences which has been described as “sleeping on cloud nine.”

If you want a less expensive memory foam then choose the 2.5 lb or the 3 lb. If you want a little softer, more luxurious memory foam then choose the 4 lb. If you weigh more, or if you want a little firmer surface then choose the 5 lb memory foam which is the most durable memory foam.

If we were to select what we feel is "the best memory foam mattress topper" we would probably choose the 2 inch 4 lb or the 3 inch 5lb. Either of these would be an excellent choice. And this is what we choose when we are asked to recommend "the best" memory foam mattress topper. [B]But [I]our all time best selection [/I]is a 2 inch 4 lb memory foam topper on top of a 1 or 2 inch latex topper. With this combination you get the softness of the memory foam surface and the orthopedic support of latex. [/B]And you may also ask: which 4lb memory foam to choose: the Cool Comfort or the Memor Rest? Either one would be fine. Because all memory foam has a slightly heating quality and some people “sleep hot” in this case the Cool Comfort mattress topper would be the best choice.

We hope these explanations have been helpful. All these mattress toppers have excellent qualities. Each is unique and each will help you to sleep more comfortably night after night!

-- Brian

Question Question about 2" 4 lbs memory foam topper over latex topper

[COLOR="Blue"]Hi Brian,

I read where you recommended the 4 lbs. density 2" memory foam topper over a 1 or 2 inch latex. I'm glad to hear this! I happen to have a 1 inch 32 ILD (medium firm) talalay latex layer. Would the 4lbs. 2" memory foam topper be ideal over that density of latex? I love a cushion-firm topper. Not too soft or my lower back hurts. But, not too hard so my hips and shoulders don't feel the pressure.

May I ask of the 5 lbs. happens to sink down further? Even on a 3"? Do they even make 2" in that density? You mentioned weight. I'm a female who happens to be overweight at around 160+. Would the 4 lbs. 2" still be supportive of me, especially over the latex? Or do you suggest the 5 lbs.? I sure don't want my comfort layer to be TOO firm, though.

Thanks! Please e-mail me or let me know when you reply to me.[/COLOR]

You had written:

"If we were to select what we feel is "the best memory foam mattress topper" we would probably choose the 2 inch 4 lb or the 3 inch 5lb. Either of these would be an excellent choice. And this is what we choose when we are asked to recommend "the best" memory foam mattress topper. [B]But our all time best selection is a 2 inch 4 lb memory foam topper on top of a 1 or 2 inch latex topper[/B]. With this combination you get the softness of the memory foam surface and the orthopedic support of latex."

Default memory foam and latex foam

Hello GoodAsGold -

If you are looking for a memory foam topper that is a little firmer we would recommend the 2 inch 2.5 lb, 3 lb or even 5lb, rather than the 2 inch 4lb topper. The words you used to describe the firmness you prefer was " a cushion-firm topper". These words describe the 2 inch 2.5 lb and 2 inch 3 lb memory foam toppers perfectly. The 4 lb memory foam is a soft surface. The 5 lb Sensus memory foam is also a soft but firmer surface and may be ideal for someone who is a bit heavier.

You mentioned that you don't want the surface to be too firm. Actually none of the memory foam toppers will be too firm. The 2 inch 2.5 lb, 3 lb and 5 lb memory foam would all be ideal in combination with your 1 inch latex topper. But the 4 lb memory foam may be too soft for you.

You could also consider adding another latex topper on top of your one inch latex topper. Our [URL="http://www.absolutecomfortonsale.com/latexfoam.htm"]ErgoSoft latex toppers[/URL] are natural latex and also a softer latex. The advantage of latex over the memory foam is that it is does not have "recovery time". Memory Foam sinks in when you lie on it and gradually rises up. The more dense memory foam, like 5lb memory foam, recovers more slowly. The lighter memory foam, like 2.5 lb and 3 lb, recovers more quickly. This recovery time gives the memory foam a cushioning feeling. The lack of recovery time in the latex gives the latex a little more firmness and supportive value.

We hope this information will help you to make the best choice for your individual needs.

Brian
    Last edited by US Brian; 10-06-2007 at 12:54 PM.

+ Reply to Thread