+ Reply to Thread

Thread: air mattress bed conversion?

Default air mattress bed conversion?

I currently have a Calif King Comfortaire mattress consisting of:

2.5" (unknown density) memory foam, on top of:
    3.5" dual air mattresses, on top of:
    6" Omalon foam
    This is all enclosed in a fairly nice zippered mattress cover (see Celesta Premium: nationwidemattress.biz/Celesta.htm)

I've had it several years and have never really liked the air mattress. I'm constantly trying to adjust the firmness and never seem to get it right (either too firm or too soft). But I spent SO much money on the set that I don't want to start all over again.

What I would like to do is simply remove the air mattress layer (and possibly the 2.5 inch topper) and replace it with either:

1. 4" of 5lb Sensus memory foam (and put my 2.5 inch topper on top of that), OR
    2. layer a peice of 3 inch firm latex under 3 inches of 5lb memory foam, OR
    3. layer two different densities of 3 inch latex (probably med soft on top of med firm).

If I did 2 or 3 I would replace both the 2.5" topper and the 3.5" air mattress.

Has anyone ever done anything like this? The finished mattress would then be zipped neatly into my Comfortaire mattress enclosure so it would not be a total loss. I could then cut the 2.5 inch memory topper down to fit my queen size guest bed.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance for any help!
    Last edited by US Jeffery; 06-16-2008 at 08:28 PM.

Default Air bed conversion

Karen, I'm sure someone has done something similar to your idea, and I
    think it would work using either the Sensus memory foam or the latex, but I don't think you need to use both since it's a bit of overkill. If you are average size then either foam will work, and then it's just a matter of preference of synthetic vs natural rubber. If you are above average size then I would
    go with the latex - medium firm. This will help with support but still feel comfortable. Also, once you've selected one of these foams, try it first without your memory foam and I think you will find that you don't need it. I hope this helps.

Thank You
    Jeffrey

+ Reply to Thread